Saturday, January 23, 2010

He Said, She Said, We Said

Birds do it. Bees do it. Even Democrats and Republicans do it.

No one can deny that this has been an interesting week in politics. Game-changing as the pundits are saying or what this new buzz word really means - "Nanny nanny boo boo!!"

I was one of those that used my Facebook status to cite my disdain for the results of the Massachusetts election. The thing about Facebook is that you can rant on there because you are surrounded by like-minded friends you chose. But what happens when a friend is like-minded in values, religion, intellect, and coolness but not politically? What does that do to the comfort zone of your friendship? Does that hinder their rant outlet if you got to your status update first?

I say no. I say, bring it on! Because you are my friend for a reason - you challenge my perspective, broaden my understanding, and call me on my narrow-mindedness.

Marriages and friendships have historically mixed political metaphors. Just this week Cindy McCain provocatively posed for California's "No H8" campaign - I told you this was an interesting week in politics! The McCains, the Matalin-Carvilles, and the Bush the elders (lest we forget Barbara is pro-choice!) - politics apparently makes feisty but do-able bedfellows. I know couples who, when asked which way they voted in an election, answer any way that cancelled out their spouses vote!

So how do we do it? How can we be so passionate about politics to the point that we draw lines and make judgements but still sit across from our spouse and know they are the love of our life or have a spirited conversation with a friend and come away from it thinking she is so much more together than we are? But they are Republicans! Or Democrats!!

At the risk of sounding grandiose, it is because we are human. Political parties are here today, gone tomorrow but that friend will always be there. Friendship and understanding and acceptance are greater than any political divide. I kind of think Ted Kennedy would agree with me.

RECESSION FASHION P.S.
Vintage is in. Vintage can be $ or $$$. Vintage can also be hard as heck to track down. Here is some faux vintage at your fingertips for just $.
http://tinyurl.com/yznf24v


1 comment:

  1. Oh Mom in Heels, hope you saw our post about Diva Boutique in Old Town Alexandria on GWSleptHere.com - right up you alley, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete